Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dubai, here I come!

It's hard to believe that in less than 24 hours I will be on a plane to New York, and a few days later I'll be making my first trip outside of this continent, my first study abroad trip, my first experience in a completely different culture.

I have waited for this moment now for over a year.. ever since I found out about the William Jefferson Clinton Scholarship offered by the American University in Dubai. I am excited, nervous, and petrified all at the same time! I won't say that I have no idea what to expect--simply because that would discount all of the research I have been doing for the past four months--but there really is only so much that I can expect anyway. Let's just say that I have my sunscreen, sunglasses, linen shirts and pants that are modest yet lightweight, my Dubai travel guide, my Middle East history book, my Arabic textbook, and a few other essentials.

Hopefully this blog will soon fill up with the stories of my travels and experiences in Dubai (and beyond, if it so happens). I don't have much to say at this point except to explain the title I chose for my blog: "ana mumkin" is a phrase transliterated from the Arabic انا ممكن. "Ana" is the Arabic word for the English pronoun "I"; "mumkin" is my favorite word in Arabic, meaning "maybe." "Ana mumkin" translates to "I might," and this phrase signifies the possibilities that lie before me during my travels.

Dubai, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. How was the trip?
    Speak Arabic yet?

    am7470@gmail

    ReplyDelete