Sunday, October 24, 2010

New Experiences

Over the past couple weeks I have had some amazing first-time experiences that I won't ever forget! The top three:

1. The Polo Match
A few days ago a friend and I were invited to watch a practice polo match. I didn't even know what polo involved before going. I asked if it was similar to water polo, which I have seen once before on a visit to San Diego, and I was laughed at. Basically, polo involves horses, sticks, a small ball, and a goal. That's about all you need to know, since actually paying attention to what's happening in the game isn't really that exciting.



2. The Beach Party
Last weekend some friends and I decided to check out a big party at Nasimi Beach, which is near the Atlantis Hotel on Palm Jumeirah, the manmade island near campus. It was a total blast. There were thousands of people everywhere, great music, lots of food & drink, and fireworks!



3. The Desert Safari
I recently went on my first-ever trip to the real desert and I still have the bruises to prove it. For this trip we drove out to Sharjah, a neighboring Emirate of Dubai about 45 minutes from AUD. The highlights of the desert trip including "dune bashing," or driving crazily around in jeep over hills in the sand. Fairly scary/dangerous, like a ride at Disneyworld but without the security of knowing that your vehicle won't spin out of control or flip (this is where the bruises came from). We also rented motorbikes/4-wheelers to ride over the dunes. I didn't do much of this due to the lack of helmets and reckless men driving, but fun to watch. We also built a fire and sat around talking and eating/drinking. We had a big group going, and most of the people I hadn't met before. One guy's dad owns a pastry shop and bought a big box of mini pizzas. One of my new favorite things is zaatar, which is a mixture of strong herbs like Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Savory, and Sesame seeds. It's often put on pizzas or in other pastries and is absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment